Restoring historic King train station labor of love - August 21, 1991
|back to News
From the Newmarket Era Banner of August 21, 1991
Full page in PDF format
"John Manson, Bill Poulis and their colleagues saw their dream come partially true as more than 200 residents came out to help celebrate the completion of the new railway platform with an outdoor band concert by the Newmarket Citizens Band. Organizers hope this will become an annual event.
Seated in the shade on the spacious grounds of the King Township Historical Society Museum, located at King Road and Jane Street, music lovers heard Canada's oldest brass band (founded in 1874) play traditional and contemporary music including Phanton of the Opera, Danny Boy and Hootenany, a medley of old classics, from the station platform.
The Newmarket Citizens' Band was on hand to celebrate the completion of the refurbished King Railway Station, located on the site of the King Township Museum at King Road and Jane Street